Courses, Lectures and Workshops
NTBG offers a variety of courses, lectures and workshops year round at all of our locations in Hawai'i and Florida. Visit the events page to see what is coming to a location near you.
Join us for our annual Botanical Illustration Workshop with Wendy Hollender.
This intensive one, two, or three week workshop covers basic through advanced techniques. You will cover:
- Study the fundamentals of botanical drawing using the mediums of graphite pencil, colored pencils, watercolor pencils and watercolor. Drawing plants and flowers starts with observation.
- Under the supervision of Wendy Hollender, Illustrator, Author, and Instructor, students will learn about plant structures and their importance through dissection and comparison.
- Students will create detailed botanical drawings and sketchbook pages of flowering plants, fruits and seedpods, working directly from the wide variety of tropical plants growing at NTBG.
- There will be opportunity to work on large compositions and detailed paintings for those with more experience. Lessons in composition will be given to help with the development of larger compositions.
- We will also study historical botanical illustrations spanning four centuries of the extensive library collection as a way of understanding the tradition and techniques still in use today.
- NTBG botanists and staff will be available to help with understanding Botany and other aspects of plants.
Registration: Is through instructor at drawingincolor.com
NTBG members will receive a 10% Discount by request. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates for 2019: April 3 through April 18, One, Two, or Three Week Classes Available