This coming week NTBG will welcome a professor from Illinois when he brings seedlings of a rare orchid grown from plant material collected a few years ago by NTBG field biologist Steve Perlman. On Kaua`i the orchid is down a sole surviving plant in the wild and has very small populations on Maui and Molokai.
Dr. Larry Zettler is an expert in the orchid genus Platanthera. After experimenting with different growing mediums, he and his students at Illinois College were able to propagate the orchid successfully from the Kaua’i collection, and also produced progeny from the collection Perlman made on Molokai.
This update was featured on Feb. 28, 2011 in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser: Illinois expert on orchids to bring rarity to islands.
The upcoming plant-out is possible due to a joint effort between Illinois College, NTBG, the Plant Extinction Prevention Program, government agencies, and landowners.
Now showing page 1 of 12 | Next Page
- GARDEN ACCEPTING INTERN APPLICATIONS, Press Release, 05/20/2013
- Video featuring Hale building to air on PBS Hawaii, Special Announcement, 05/20/2013
- Today Show tapes in McBryde Garden, In the News, 05/14/2013
- Limahuli Announces Summer Internships, Ages 13-18, Special Announcement, 05/14/2013
- NTBG and KCC Special Film Showing April 23, Press Release, 04/08/2013
- NTBG and KCC announce new lecture series: Around the World of Plants, Press Release, 02/22/2013
- Next Hale Building Days at Limahuli Announced, Special Announcement, 02/18/2013
- Archaeology/paleoecology field school runs this summer, Special Announcement, 02/08/2013
- NTBG announces 2013 Course for Science Teachers, Press Release, 01/11/2013
- Kalo Festival includes Workshop at Limahuli Garden, Events, 12/02/2012
Please see the News & Events master page for the entire NTBG organization at a glance.
Want to receive this information right when new items are posted to our website?
Sign up for our news feed via email.