Kalo Varieties Identification Workshop
E Ola Nā Iwi iā Kākou
This year Limahuli Garden and Preserve is partnering with Waipā Foundation to host a workshop during the Kalo Festival on the weekend of October 16-17. “E Ola Nā Iwi iā Kākou” means to honor the traditions of our ancestors and is the theme of this grassroots event, which will focus on highlighting, celebrating, and sharing anything and everything about kalo.
Saturday, October 16, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. at Waipā
• Ho‘olaule‘a in the big field featuring hands-on workshops, educational displays, booths, tasting and demonstrations
• Biggest kalo competitions and recognition of kupuna mahi‘ai kalo (kalo farmers); lo‘i tours, food and craft vendors, keiki activities and games, a cooking contest, and kalo art contest (in partnership with select schools)
• Entertainment will include music, presentations, and movies into the evening
This event is a fundraiser for the Waipā Community Kitchen and Poi Mill, and will be a minimum to zero-waste event: bring your own plates and utensils and do not use styrofoam.
Entry fees for the day will be $3 for adults and $1 for kids under 12.
Sunday, October 17 at Limahuli Garden
• 9-11 a.m. Kalo Varieties Identification Workshop, 9 a.m.-11 a.m.
• followed by a kalo tasting and pā`ina until 12:30 p.m.
(please note Sunday is a tour closure day at Limahuli)
For more information, contact Waipā Foundation at (808) 826-9969.
Driving directions to Limahuli Garden may be found at: Map or Text Directions
Now showing page 1 of 3 | Next Page
- Art of Discovery topic of May 21 lecture at KCC, Lecture, 05/21/2013
- Film Showing at KCC - Joseph Rock in China, Lecture, 04/23/2013
- Prof. Sir Ghillean Prance on Indians of Argentina Rainforests, Lecture, 03/05/2013
- Botanical Drawing Workshop at Limahuli, Workshop, 02/15/2013
- Lord Howe Island - lecture by Ian Hutton at KCC, Lecture, 10/02/2012
- Growing Breadfruit in the Home Garden, Lecture, 09/22/2011
- Revitalizing ‘Ulu - Workshop on Hawai‘i Island, Workshop, 03/12/2011
- Kalo Varieties Identification Workshop, Workshop, 10/17/2010
- Sign up for Botanical Illustration Workshop, Workshop, 07/17/2009
- Mo`olelo Under the Moon at Limahuli - July offering, Lecture, 07/03/2009
Please see the Lectures & Workshops master page for the entire NTBG organization at a glance.
Want to receive this information right when new items are posted to our website?
Sign up for our news feed via email.