new public lecture series
`AROUND THE WORLD OF PLANTS’.
The first lecture of the series will feature
Professor Sir Ghillean Prance
‘Ethnobotany of the Guarani of the Argentina Rainforests’
Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:30 p.m.
Cafeteria, KCC Campus Center
One of the United Kingdom’s most celebrated modern botanists, Professor Prance has spent much of his career exploring the tropical parts of the world to study not only plants, but the relationship between them and indigenous people. In this lecture he will share his experiences from his expeditions to Argentina and describe how this Indian group uses and respects the plants of the rainforest.
In addition to his scientific and ethnobotanical exploration, Prance has served as director of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew and scientific director helping oversee the creation of the Eden Project in Cornwall. He currently serves as a Trustee and scientific advisor for the National Tropical Botanical Garden, and uses NTBG’s living and dried plant collections to complete his scientific papers. Prance was the first recipient of the International Cosmos Prize, awarded to an individual who promotes the philosophy of “harmonious coexistence between nature and mankind,” has received numerous other awards throughout his career, and was knighted by Queen Elizabeth for his contributions and achievements.
The next two lectures in the ‘Around the World’ series have also been announced: NTBG Director Chipper Wichman with a film showing of A King in China: the Life of Joseph Francis Rock on April 23 and, on May 21, NTBG Librarian Richard Hanna on ‘Captain Cook’s Artists in the Pacific’. NTBG and KCC have collaborated to bring this series to the public as they share a common goal of quality education to change lives.
(KCC’s Campus Center is located behind the Performing Arts Center, at 3-1901 Kaumuali`i Hwy.)
Now showing page 1 of 3 | Next Page
- Art of Discovery topic of May 21 lecture at KCC, Lecture, 05/21/2013
- Film Showing at KCC - Joseph Rock in China, Lecture, 04/23/2013
- Prof. Sir Ghillean Prance on Indians of Argentina Rainforests, Lecture, 03/05/2013
- Botanical Drawing Workshop at Limahuli, Workshop, 02/15/2013
- Lord Howe Island - lecture by Ian Hutton at KCC, Lecture, 10/02/2012
- Growing Breadfruit in the Home Garden, Lecture, 09/22/2011
- Revitalizing ‘Ulu - Workshop on Hawai‘i Island, Workshop, 03/12/2011
- Kalo Varieties Identification Workshop, Workshop, 10/17/2010
- Sign up for Botanical Illustration Workshop, Workshop, 07/17/2009
- Mo`olelo Under the Moon at Limahuli - July offering, Lecture, 07/03/2009
Please see the Lectures & Workshops master page for the entire NTBG organization at a glance.
Want to receive this information right when new items are posted to our website?
Sign up for our news feed via email.