The Kampong is pleased to present
"A Historical and Horticultural Perspective of The Kampong"
by Larry M. Schokman
Larry Schokman, Kampong Director Emeritus, will share images of the original Fairchild home overlooking Biscayne Bay, the 1940 Cheng-Ho expedition to the Moluccas (aka Spice Islands), Alexander Graham Bell at the garden, and Catherine Sweeney, well known as the ‘Savior of The Kampong’.
He will also share some of the gardening practices used at The Kampong, including pruning trees planted in the David Fairchild era, the use of heavy mulch to increase topsoil, and the limited use of pesticides.
Thursday, February 17
6:30 p.m. – Reception, 7:00 p.m. – Lecture
General Public: $10 suggested donation
Reservations required prior to lecture; please call
Free to Kampong Fellows and Members; reserve via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Now showing page 1 of 3 | Next Page
- April Lecture about Kampong Creator, Lecture, 04/18/2013
- Plant Exploration: in search of living treasures, Lecture, 02/21/2013
- Great Garden Design, Lecture, 11/15/2012
- Jones’ Lecture on Fairchild in Creation of Everglades National Park, Lecture, 05/16/2012
- Wayside Trees of Tropical Florida by David Lee, Lecture, 03/15/2012
- Fairchild's Canary Islands explorations topic of lecture, Lecture, 02/16/2012
- Florida Icons: 50 Classic Views of the Sunshine State - by Roger Hammer, Lecture, 01/19/2012
- Miami: Mistress of the Americas by Jan Nijman, Lecture, 10/10/2011
- Flora of the Pacific Northwest - by Dr. Fayla Schwartz, Lecture, 07/26/2011
- Growing Real Food in Your Backyard - by Chris Rollins, Lecture, 05/19/2011
Please see the Lectures & Workshops master page for the entire NTBG organization at a glance.
Want to receive this information right when new items are posted to our website?
Sign up for our news feed via email.