The Cooking Contest, one of the first events of the day, garnered entries in the appetizers, soups/salads/side dishes, main dishes, and desserts categories. The rules of the contest called for original recipes featuring breadfruit as the main ingredient.
The panel of five judges included celebrity chefs Mark Tsuchiyama of Hualalai Resort, Olelo paa Ogawa of Glow Hawai`i and Jacqueline Lau of Roy’s Restaurants, food writer and cookbook author Sonia Martinez and KITV weekend anchor Pamela Young, who scored entries for best use of breadfruit, taste, presentation, originality, and the best use of healthy ingredients.
Some of the winners were:
Best of Show: Ann Sutherland of Kailua, Kona with her `Ulu Tart
Healthiest Choice: Kua o ka la New Century Public Charter School and their culinary kumu Mariposa Blanco of Pāhoa, Puna with their `Ulu Tamales with Coleslaw and Salsa
First Place Appetizer: Ann Sutherland of Kailua, Kona with her `Ulu Summer Rolls
First Place Soup/Salad/Side Dish: Nader Nanoa Parsia of Kailua, Kona with his `Ulu Salad
For more information about breadfruit, visit Breadfruit Institute of the National Tropical Botanical Garden
Now showing page 1 of 5 | Next Page
- Today Show tapes in McBryde Garden, In the News, 05/14/2013
- Botanical Illustration Workshop at Kahanu Garden, Events, 03/18/2013
- Archaeology/paleoecology field school runs this summer, Special Announcement, 02/08/2013
- `Ulu Cook-off, Tours during Aloha Festivals, Events, 10/27/2012
- 10/20 Breadfruit Trees Distribution to Windward O`ahu Community, Press Release, 10/22/2012
- “Seeds of Hope” film showings in Hawai`i, Special Announcement, 10/18/2012
- Breadfruit Festival Goes Bananas - on Hawai`i Island, Events, 09/29/2012
- NTBG and KCC Present Lecture by Australian Naturalist, Press Release, 09/12/2012
- Breadfruit Institute Director Live on Hawai`i Public Radio, Special Announcement, 09/07/2012
- Breadfruit Workshop at Bishop Museum, Events, 03/17/2012
Please see the News & Events master page for the entire NTBG organization at a glance.
Want to receive this information right when new items are posted to our website?
Sign up for our news feed via email.