This coming week NTBG will welcome a professor from Illinois when he brings seedlings of a rare orchid grown from plant material collected a few years ago by NTBG field biologist Steve Perlman. On Kaua`i the orchid is down a sole surviving plant in the wild and has very small populations on Maui and Molokai.
Dr. Larry Zettler is an expert in the orchid genus Platanthera. After experimenting with different growing mediums, he and his students at Illinois College were able to propagate the orchid successfully from the Kaua’i collection, and also produced progeny from the collection Perlman made on Molokai.
This update was featured on Feb. 28, 2011 in the Honolulu Star-Advertiser: Illinois expert on orchids to bring rarity to islands.
The upcoming plant-out is possible due to a joint effort between Illinois College, NTBG, the Plant Extinction Prevention Program, government agencies, and landowners.
Now showing page 1 of 5 | Next Page
- Video featuring Hale building to air on PBS Hawaii, Special Announcement, 05/20/2013
- Today Show tapes in McBryde Garden, In the News, 05/14/2013
- Botanical Illustration Workshop at Kahanu Garden, Events, 03/18/2013
- Archaeology/paleoecology field school runs this summer, Special Announcement, 02/08/2013
- `Ulu Cook-off, Tours during Aloha Festivals, Events, 10/27/2012
- 10/20 Breadfruit Trees Distribution to Windward O`ahu Community, Press Release, 10/22/2012
- “Seeds of Hope” film showings in Hawai`i, Special Announcement, 10/18/2012
- Breadfruit Festival Goes Bananas - on Hawai`i Island, Events, 09/29/2012
- NTBG and KCC Present Lecture by Australian Naturalist, Press Release, 09/12/2012
- Breadfruit Institute Director Live on Hawai`i Public Radio, Special Announcement, 09/07/2012
Please see the News & Events master page for the entire NTBG organization at a glance.
Want to receive this information right when new items are posted to our website?
Sign up for our news feed via email.